A quick chat with The Slashdogs- by Mia

Photo by Christelle Duvenage


If you are unfamiliar with The Slashdogs, you've kind of been living under a pretty heavy rock the past couple of years. They formed in 2003 and ever since then they have been making waves and provided us with some seriously exciting live shows, music, and obviously good times. They have no desire to conform and have always summoned a rebellion crusade of sorts in their lively performances and consistent material. These dogs have paved the way for many new local acts and is a solid reminder of where hard work and pure passion for your art can get you. I had a little Q&A with Ryan (vocals) to find out more about the band. Enjoy kids!


So it’s no secret that you guys aren’t the average rock ‘n roll band. What would you say sets you apart from other acts?

Everyone has the opportunity to express how they see and interpret their existence and I have been blessed to have The Slashdogs as a medium to do this. In bands, you get to learn from other individuals who are on a journey of their own, so in The Slashdogs, the relationship between members is close. We spend a lot of time together, either song writing, rehearsing, in the studio, at shows on the road or discussing even just discussing ideas so there's opportunity to learn a great deal form one another.

So in response to the question; It’s the same thing that sets any artist apart, it’s the life of the person portraying it, it doesn’t have to be dictated by anything but in all probability, influenced by all. I tell myself that this is how I come to a place where I can reconcile and broadcast what I observe. I’d highly recommend it if you’re not looking to take up a golf membership that is, it might have to be one or the other.

The scene has gone through a lot of changes, some good, some bad. How do you manage to remain consistent without being repetitive?

I’ve kind of ignored the scene politics for quite some years now. I think one’s own life can be complicated enough, as a band we do encourage unity among ourselves and our community but claiming to love a scene/group identity/political party/church/some figurehead with a loudhailer can be quite conceited, that or you’re subscribing to some kind of herd mentality, to do so in the age of social media where people can hide behind their device screens and spout off without any consequence or direct interaction might be ill-advised and a waste of precious time. I have better things to do like focus on my growth before that of strangers whose lives I can’t possibly even come close to comprehending.

Since we’re on the topic of our local scene. What is something that you like about the music scene?

I like that people get together at shows, reconnect with each other, build more durable bonds.

You guys formed in 2003 and in 2011 you took a brief hiatus and soon after that new material followed. What are your writing processes and how do you stay inspired during the harder times?

The writing process varies, depending on how the process reveals itself, sometimes we’ll have a concept that I’ll put lyrics to and then we’ll compose around the idea or maybe one of us will come up with the music first and that inspires a concept which then guides the song direction. I suppose at the core of any one of our songs is an idea or something we’ve observed in the world. One of the main objectives is to get integrate the music and the lyrics, for me that’s one of the most important aspects.




In your own words please describe the ideal gig? The Mecca of all gigs? The holy of all holiness of gigs?

We played a show at Kitchener’s a few years back where we set the band up in the middle of the room, there was no stage whatsoever and the band was set up in the middle of the audience, that’s got be one of my favourite shows. Everyone in it together, no rockstars, just everyone enjoying themselves and being part of it. My favourite shows are when I’m moved to a place of transcendence, so that could be a big stage or small sweaty venue. I do find it happens at the smaller venues more often though, maybe that’s just because most of our shows are at smaller venues though.

We’ve seen various musicians jump on the S.A. band wagon and then fall off eventually. You guys have managed to stay strapped in and maintain a successful career. How do you manage to stay relevant without becoming “sell-outs”?

We’ve tried to create honestly, everyone has influences but I think we tried to keep the idea of what the songs are about as a guideline as to how the song should sound instead of trying to sound like an influence. Sounding like some overseas band will create a glass ceiling. I don’t want us to ever sound like some band that influences us even though I’m sure it happens. Forgive the cliché but, “Nothing comes from nothing and there’s nothing new under the sun”. The best we can hope for is to be create honestly and avoid clichés. ;)

When you’re on tour, do you have any rules that apply to the whole crew?

Nah, not really. I’ve learned to put my headphones on or go for a walk if possible. Not having to always have banter going on while on tour is fine,  the shows are why you’re there so rather put your energies into aspects of the show, mood swings and emotional outbursts have no place in a fart box that you’re sharing four other guys.

It’s just a case of everyone knowing what the band’s priority is. It’s got nothing do with being a rock star or a hero. Egos on the road will end your band, so there are times you’ll need to honestly figure out what the band’s priorities before opening your mouth, this can be difficult sometimes but sometimes it’s also necessary to stand up for yourself, if you do need to raise a concern, try and be diplomatic. 

You’ve played a lot of insane festivals and shows over the years. What is the first thing you feel or experience when you get on that stage and witness the chaos that is about to become a Slashdogs show?

I’m pretty nervous before all of our shows but once you get up there, those nerves tend to dissipate… at least for the good shows. I think being nervous before any show is good. It means that being able to do this kind of thing still matters to you. I love the butterflies in my stomach before a show, it’s part of what makes it fun.

The Slashdogs (in my opinion) is quite hard to shove into a box regarding genres and styles. This is also why I believe your music is so liberating. What messages do you hope to convey to your listeners?

I never wanted to come off as preachy so it’s not one thing. I think the most important thing I’d like the band to exemplify is “To Thine own self be true”. I have no place telling others how to conduct their lives but I have to trust that in the end we’ll all get what’s coming to us, that said, I have my own sense of justice which probably differs wildly from other peoples. I would encourage people to examine themselves before pointing at others.

What can we as fans expect from The Slashdogs in 2020?

We’re pushing to have more songs, more albums, more shows more lessons, more adventures with band mates and those close to us.

You can catch The Slashdogs, Dirty Moonshine, and 
Deadline at The Grind Bar this Saturday (22 February 2020)


Event Link

Special thanks to The Grind Bar and The Slashdogs


Comments

Popular Posts