All Choked Up 2019




What a fucking year it has been!
First off. I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every soul that made this year hands down one of the worst yet obscenely outrageous years I have witnessed. As we come to the end of this rollercoaster and the realisation of the decade being over, we should take time to reflect back on what the hell actually went down.
Precisely a year ago I wrote the first article for Dystopia. You can read it HERE It was Endless Daze 2018. I try and try to remember and yet all I can remember is that we go to that place to forget. This year was very similar. 

I would like to rank a list of highlights and then end it off with a short summary regarding 2019

1.       We added a bunch of Dystopian members with all sorts of talents. If you see the improvement and you know a member give them a big hug and a high five. Be sure to keep an eye out for the future where there is going to be much more content to come.
2.       The first big Dystopia event took place at Railways. If you want to have more information about what happened that day, buy me a beer and I will give an in-depth description of what took place that night. Trust me, I was sober.
3.       Sick shows took place this year in addition to our own. Grind Bar nailed some spectacular shows. Uncle Mothers hosted some crazy Cool Cape Cats. Don’t forget about the Jozi and Dirtbin happenings.
4.       I became really sad to hear the news of some venues closing and bands taking a break.
5.       I became very happy to see some venues open and grow. Not to mention new bands that are going to break the scene we know today in a billion pieces.
6.       The foundations paved in 2019. If you look back at the past decade, the scene grew and died off more times than I could count. We went through droughts and floods.

If you would not mind I would like to mention my Top Ten Gigs for the year.
  1. Endless Daze (what a surprise)
  2. Even Cowgirls Get The Blues Seven at Tweefontein Melkery
  3. Zonnemaand
  4. 70’s Fest
  5. Deaf Poets at Aandklas
  6. PXLS Playing in Pretoria
  7. Seeing Nuns at Bohemian in Stellenbosch
  8. The last Uncle Mothers Show at Thrashers Skatepark
  9. Ruff Majik making me cry at Railways
  10. Playing with The Valley and Tazers at Grind Bar

I highly recommend you give these mentions a gander and make sure that you attend at least one of them if the cosmos would allow it.
So here we are now. The beautiful wave we are riding is just going to get gnarlier. I ask each and every one of you to have a collective positive attitude towards the year 2020. Some higher being knows what will happen if we don’t.

Throughout this shitstorm of a year, I can always look back and realise something very important. No matter where you are or what state you are in you can literally take a step back and look at every one. They never give up and never surrender. From artists to Fans everyone is constantly busy trying to improve the scene. No matter how straight the gate. I keep the excitement bottled up anymore. The time is almost now. The tight end zone is near. Let’s send this year into oblivion.

Now for the last part. This might hurt...

Endless Daze 2018. Mushrooms. Jager. Fuck tonnes of Alcohol. Winnie Blues. Mia our Guardian Angel. Nepotism. Something Wicked This Way Comes. Jesus died for our Synthias.Sy druk letterlik vier knoppies en dan kom die hele Irish op die vloer. Hate City. Snor City. Kaapfokkenstad.Dirtbin. Jack Parow. Broncho is rerig goed. Neusbiere. Circle Jerking. Muff Rajik. Railways het uit drank gehardloop. Eina POES. The Office. I am Beyonce always. Never forget. Phones getting stolen at the strip. The first week of November fuckup.RIP Long Hair.Geldwolf.

IT’S DYSTOPIA NOT YOUTOPIA.

For one last time! 

Cheers 
Wessel



Comments

Popular Posts