The South African Metal Music Awards - Part I




For many years metal, and any other form of alternative music, didn't receive any recognition in the awards sector and any other categories of entertainment in the biz. Heavy music is still a very 'niche' thing in South Africa and, in my opinion, still doesn't get enough credit and appreciation for all the hard work that goes into it. Over the years the scene has grown tumultuously and we now have South African bands that make waves all around the world. As someone who grew up in the scene, I can honestly say it has been a bumpy, yet very wondrous, ride. Not only did we expand and leak into different nests of genres, but we also made the scene work when the odds were so evidently against us.

The SAMMAs has made it a lot more rewarding to enter, and remain, in the scene.  It was established in 2014 by Brandon Bernardo and Musa Mntambo (11th Hour). In 2016 a third party organizer was introduced and took over, Sashquita Northey, one of the women I look up to most in the industry. Later on Patrick Davidson from M4A became part of the SAMMAs as an independent observer. These measures ensured transparency and recognized public interest as a top priority.

Now, I could give you a play by play of how exactly every little thing works, but I am not going to do that. I've looked into the whole concept and from what I understand, there is a lot of fine detail tied to the selection processes and the organizing of the event itself. But, as a metal fan and a journo in the industry I can assure you that we are in good hands. I honestly respect everyone involved to the core because this, my friends, is tedious fucking work.

The categories that I'm gonna mention in this part of the series are:

1. Best Music Video

Chaos Doctrine- My Demise Part II
Deadline- Bloodbeast
Dirty Moonshine- Shake The Roof
Facing The Gallows- Doom II
Hiraeth- Undying
Zombies Ate My Girlfriend- The Worst is Yet to Come

2. Best Single

Chaos Doctrine- My Demise Part II
Deadline- Bloodbeast
Dirty Moonshine- Shake The Roof
Facing The Gallows- Doom II
My Columbine- 3 A.M.

3. Best Metal EP

Demogoroth Satanum- Becoming
Fenriswulf- Wolves of Odin
Human Nebula- Pillars of Creation
In Misery- All Things Dead
Resurrection of Fetal Remains- Lords of Gore

4. Best Metal Album

Abaddon- The Fractured Race
Chaos Doctrine- Chaos Doctrine
Facing The Gallows- Dead Mindset
My Columbine- Ritual Violence
Z.A.M.G- Shun The Reptile

5. Best Live Metal Band

Chaos Doctrine
Deadline
Facing The Gallows
Vulvodynia
Z.A.M.G

6. Best Newcomer Metal Band

Fenriswulf
Hiraeth
Human Nebula
Koedoe
Treehouse Burning


The nominations were open for the public and I remember being in a tight spot. I wanted to vote for all of my favorites, but there can only be one! It was a tough voting decision(s) but I am thrilled with the outcome. The bands in these categories are all so deserving and I've seen most of them do so well the past year. It warms my heart.

The heavy hitters like Zombies Ate My Girlfriend and Facing The Gallows are nominated for almost every category, which I can imagine is gonna be a tough one for the judges. Over the past year we've seen tremendous work form all the bands that are nominated and it's not only rewarding for them, to be nominated, but also for us fans who support them throughout.

The SAMMAs are taking place at Rumours Lounge on 23 November. It's going to be a fancy, yet still metal, affair and it is open to the public. So make sure to go support the homies. There will also be a few bands playing as well as a guest speaker so it's definitely worth the formalities.

For some more SAMMA related content follow the links below:










Comments

Popular Posts