Jesus died for our synths- Swandy celebrates their debut EP

Ah, Swandy, the band(y) that I can't quite squeeze into one specific genre. I guess that is why I find them so appealing. The sound is definitely unique, the style is extremely static and the vibe is energetic. This three piece releases their debut EP today and I had the privilege to listen to it beforehand. What a bopper! I didn't expect anything less from these three though. 


So ultimately if you feel like breaking the tracks up and not listening to it in the order it comes in, you definitely can, but I really enjoyed the way they all kind of melt together into one big static,spacey,synthy trip. Each track is unique, of course, but it does hold its consistency throughout the entire EP.

For some reason I couldn't stop thinking of space mermaids the whole time. I guess they are space mermaids and us mortals are not worthy. This underwater-intergalactic-fuzz vibe really had me hooked and I haven't stopped listening to it.


The lyrics are surprisingly deep and somewhat intricately emotional, which adds a lot of depth to the already cosmic sound and character of the band. The lyrics are well written and the vocals are clear and distinct, something that can often be challenging for bands who approach this type of sound.

The opening track on the EP, Snothy's Home, is upbeat and edgy. A strong opener for a strong and consistent vibe. The transition between tracks is also well produced and I can honestly say one does not have to skip through anything.

The second track, Spit and a Handshake, is slower but still holds the same static as Snothy's Home. The third one, Social Creatures, is one of my favorites. I simply can't leave this song alone. It's whimsical, beautiful, and synthy. I know "synthy" isn't a word, but it should be.

The tracks are short-ish but it gives just enough without leaking or become too much. Schnarfing, which is track four, is fuzzy and faster. Just the way we like it. Counterparty (track five) is a cup of slow spacey synth with some serious chill.

This brings me to the last track, Anchor, which is hands down my favorite of them all. It's energetic, fuzzy, synthy, powerful and extremely catchy. It's the perfect send off and a possible earworm. What I really appreciate about this EP is the fact that it's a lot, without being too much. A perfect balance.

xoxo
-Mia van den Heever



Swandy's Facebook
Swandy's Youtube
Swandy's Instagram
Swandy's Bandcamp

Photos courtesy of Swandy's Facebook page.

Comments

Popular Posts