Facing The Chaos- Nervo Chaos Gauteng 2019



A few months back I was presented the opportunity to do a wee tiny interview with the heavy hitters, Nervo Chaos. I was super stoked but also super anxious. I had about a million questions and I was kind of starstruck. After the dust settled a bit I compiled a list of ten questions. Mainly just some shit that I wanted to hear from them.

Nervo Chaos

So, fast forward a few months later and I’m at Platteland and Rumours Lounge attending the shows. I always enjoy watching metal, in any shape or form. But for some reason though these two shows in Gauteng really got me amped as fuck. Bands like Human Nebula, Demogoroth Satanum, Bleeding Spawn, and Facing the Gallows really make up a killer line up and none of these bands lacked in the performance department on this tour. I was especially impressed with Human Nebula. They opened the show with overwhelming force and their energy on stage was consistent throughout. After a lot og anticipation it was finally time for Nervo Chaos to hit the stage. Guys, if you missed this tour then I really feel bad for you. I couldn’t take my eyes off that stage and I barely blinked. Overall both shows were brutal as fuck and I couldn’t be more amazed. Well done to all involved.

Human Nebula

Facing The Gallows



I had a quick chat with Edu (Nervo Chaos) about tour life and some other juicy things. Enjoy!

1. What would you say is the biggest or most apparent difference between playing in South Africa versus other countries?
Edu: I believe that a headbanger is a headbanger anywhere in the globe. Of course there are a few different characteristics from country to country, with culture, languages and etc. But, at the end of the day, is all very similar. I think South Africa reminds me a little bit of South America, I mean, very passioned people that really support this kind/style of music and a growing, developing market that not a lot of bands have discovered it yet.

2. This isn’t your first time in South Africa. What is your favourite thing about S.A., and will you be returning?

Edu: This is our second tour in South Africa. Our first tour was a few years ago together with BOARGASM and we did around 10 dates together. This time around we have teamed up with FACING THE GALLOWS for 4 dates together and we definitively want to keep returning to South Africa for touring. It’s a wonderful country with great people and awesome vibe, so it’s definitively one of our favourite places on Earth.

3. Are there any bands on this tour that you enjoyed playing with the most? Do you see yourselves playing with them again?

Edu: For sure. FACING THE GALLOWS is a great band and we’ll probably to something together in 2020. I also want to check out some of the acts we’ll be playing together with. I’ve checked them on the internet already but for me the real deal is live, so I can’t barely wait to check them out in the next couple of days.

4. We can only imagine how gruelling some of these tours can be. Any tips for bands on surviving international tours?

Edu: For sure it’s harder than it looks and it’s a long way to the top if you want to rock ’n roll. I think main thing is to love and believe in what you do. With that I think you can overcome all obstacles and difficulties of a touring life.

5. Nervo Chaos has been around since ‘96. What has been the biggest challenge(s) in your career so far?

Edu: For us I think the biggest challenge is to keep a steady line-up. It’s so hard to find real musicians that are forged to the touring life. But all in all I can’t complain. I think we’re lucky to be able to make a living with music, so there’s no challenge big enough.



6. Congrats on signing a worldwide deal with Hammerheart records, what sets your 8th album, Ablaze, apart from previous albums?

Edu: Thanks so much. We’re very pleased to be with Hammerheart Records. I think ABLAZE is the most mature album from NERVOCHAOS. We’re very comfortable with our musical proposal, songwriting, musicianship and pretty much found our own sounding by now. So ABLAZE reflects it all, there are fast straight forward songs but as well as mid-tempo and heavy songs too. We’re focused on all small details for this album and putting it all together I think that’s the main reason it stands out if compared with our previous releases.

7. So, it’s no secret that any form of extreme music is frowned upon in most places all over the globe. In your opinion, where is the worst place(s) and the best place(s) for extreme music to succeed?

Edu: I think the hardest (almost impossible) places are those extremely fundamentalist with religion and/or dictatorships. Besides Dubai, the Middle East and some countries in Asia are almost impossible for extreme METAL. Everywhere else is freaking awesome.

8. Can we expect more exciting things from Nervo Chaos soon?

Edu: Yes, besides our new world tour we’re already working on the new studio album for 2021, but we should record it next year. We’ll also keep on touring during next year in support of ABLAZE album and we have plans to release in 2020 a EP and maybe a DVD as well. Visit our website or our pages to know more about us.

9. Who are some of your favourite bands in the scene right now?

Edu: There are so many killer acts nowadays that it’s hard to mention just a few, but I could say that, personally, I’ve been enjoying a lot the work of bands such as KRISIUN, POSSESSED, UADA, INCANTATION, KRYPTS and etc. Of course I still listen (and has a big influence for me) the classic acts such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Venom, Bathory and many more to list.

10. Here at Dystopia, we take our food very seriously, do you have a favorite South African dish?

Edu: There are many but I could mention Biltong, Boerewors, Koeksister and Sosatie. 


- Mia van den Heever


Bands: 

Special thanks to: 
Sash

Comments

Popular Posts