Playlist Philanthropists



I recently discovered my old Nokia 5130 ExpressMusic. We all, the "Vasco Da Gama's" of exploring new genres and tunes, evolve our music taste throughout the years. There may be some consistencies as to the genre, or the ball could be swatted way out of the park and you wake up the next morning with the entire Franz Ferdinand discography in your library. My point is, we as fans and avid lovers of the scene, always make time to introduce gems with less than 200 listens to our friends and colleagues. Some of us (myself included) shove it down the throats of our peers. It is perfectly understandable to represent and boast about your discovery. After all, explorers did pose for a triumphant photo with a flag spiked into Mother Earth. So why shouldn't you?

I for one am proud to be sharing a newly discovered banger on my Instagram story. For the love of all that is sacred, please don't be that prick who overly brags about your discovery, be humble and remember the natives were there before you. Back to that old Nokia. Brace for impact. Green Day, Linkin Park, Coldplay and many alternatives filled my 2gb memory card to the brim. Now if I could travel back in time I would probably hit the living kak out of myself. Looking back when I played those songs a nostalgic wave hit me. A goosebump-inducing wave that almost made my sweater jump off my skin. Many years passed and the likings evolved. I went through a heavy metal phase spent with Children of Bodom and In Flames and ended up with Toe Cutter - Thumb Buster by Thee Oh Sees as my current most played song. We all ride the rollercoaster.

Enough about myself and to the point. The point being you. Yes you, the reader, stop looking behind you I'm talking to you. You came to this space because of music you like or some person that introduced you to a band that probably stirred your social media algorithms to this very website you are reading from today. My music taste is all thanks to friends and fellow companions shoving songs and artists down my throat. Without the artists, we would not exist. Without the fans, the shows would be empty and filled with criminal public ego stroking. This is the Yin and Yang. I'm part of a group called Playlist Philanthropists. Unfortunately, we are not a sub-division of the Illuminati, we only share a massive amount of playlists. If you are one of the members give yourself a pat on the back and yell to mom to get the camera.

Looking back at the songs on my old Nokia, the thing would probably have survived Chernobyl, you could see some pretty lame songs. Weak compared to my standards today. You should reflect back and listen closer. All those artists paved foundations for progressions and sounds that gave you hope. Like any other drug you keep wanting more and you explore similar bands. You might leave your go to all time favourite for someone else. I had every piece of material from the Smashing Pumpkins to date at a certain time in my life. The 666 tapes are still to date my most viewed on Youtube. Forward to 2019 I barely listen to them. We constantly evolve and explore. 50% of my playlists consist of Cherry Glazer and Courtney Barnett. Artists, my past self, would find rather difficult to fathom.

There is a certain shine in a person's eyes when they ask you if you know an artist or song. Drunk me would walk from person to person shouting "DO YOU KNOW THE BLACK ANGELS?" like some savage Jehovah's witness. André has saved my ass so many times explaining that they are very near to my heart and I want every soul to know about their existence. Music creates bonds and blossom friendships. A lot of serious relationships began because of music. Music may not be that important to others. It serves as a great topic of discussion from seeing artists live to that one CD you got from an edgy sibling filled with a scary amount of Doomer hits. If not for my fellow comrades my music repertoire would have stayed the same.
We push each other to explore. We also live in an age of technology where you can find a song with the press of a button. Radio's on streaming platforms have saved my life. If you have a playlist share it. If you feel a band needs more recognition, shout their name drunkenly at parties without context. Explore and Expose.

We all share music close to our hearts and it melts mine every time when I talk to a fellow crony thanking me for introducing them to an artist or particular song. If you have Spotify or Google Play, perfect! I am sharing one of the first ever major playlists I hacked together. Apologies for the Apple Users, RIP iTunes.



If you find something on there, new or old, that hits you with that wave of satisfaction, feel free to come up to me and talk about it. Don't say I didn't warn you if the sun is rising and you need to get some sleep. I will be doing an article about some DJ's that make my playlists look like flat coke on a warm Sunday Morning in the future, so keep your eyes peeled. If you are moving over to a different platform and want an easy way to convert all your playlists with the click of a button go to https://soundiiz.com/. You pay like R40 for one month, very easy and very cool Kanye.

It was a pleasure to get your attention and always remember

DONT YOU DARE SHUFFLE!






Comments

Popular Posts