Some of the new(ish) kids on the block



Double Sun, one of Pretoria's newest garage rumblers and The Grind, one of Pretoria's newest garages - what a combo. All jokes aside The Grind is by far one of the best kept and well-maintained venues in Pretoria despite being located on the infamous Lynwood Strip. BUNK, curators of chaos bringing some large names into town like The Hellcats and Shadowclub and the occasional smaller band - smaller is not to be confused with worse - food for thought. The sound is surprisingly good considering the environment, but unfortunately can't compete with venues like Railways… Still totally acceptable in my opinion. BUNK and The Grind are killing it, to say the least, and I'm sure that we're all equally excited to see what the have up their sleeves for us. P.S. It's called Peer Pressure June 1st.

Now on to Double Sun. Lately, they've almost appeared out of thin air in the Pretoria scene, are breaking the hearts and wetting the pants of everyone they cross. Although still playing small leagues in terms of fanbase size, these ne'er do wells have been making bold moves like performing with the internationally acclaimed Deaf Poets and the local(ish) legends - Runaway Nuns at Aandklas Pretoria.

They are in essence the new kids on the block - which you'd never expect after being courtly assaulted by one of their live performances. If Blues Rock is making a revival around here - then I'm glad they're part of it and you most likely will be too. From great crowd engagement to an all-around impressive performance to the ever so perfectly simple yet fitting riffs - they'll surely blow your shorts off as they did ours. The varied styles between Eric's grooves on the bass and Barrys seemingly reformed jazzy style create a solid and tight backbone topped by two completely different personalities on lead, rhythm, vocals and more vocals… seems like it shouldn't work but oooh man… does it work.

Now for the part we all hate… the negatives. (Note this entire article is entirely subjective although I did try to stay as impartial as possible, what do I know anyway?) The set was just too short, the crowd was begging for more on both occasions I've been lucky enough to see them live. Despite the short set I was still left with an awfully sweet taste in my mouth and taking into account how new they are to the scene, I'll excuse the short set. The only real issue that I had wasn't the music, the performance or the persona - it's their self-diagnosed genre category - Psychedelic Rock. The way I see it is that Double Sun is a Blues Rock band based on their sound, not song choice. Although they may have some psychedelic elements like the long trippy guitar solos, it just wouldn't be accurate calling them psych rock. They're missing the crazy, spacey effects and the typical elements of it. I'm in no way trying to trash talk the band, I love their music and their live performances with every inch of me, all I'm saying is that it's blues rock.

Other than that I have absolutely no complaints. To an awesome bunch of dudes with great music, a great personality, and a great attitude, congratu-fucking-lations on the stellar band and performance. I can't wait to see what these guys have in store for us in the future. Maybe an EP? Who knows?

Check Double Sun out on some of these links:




Lots of love,
Luke 


Comments

Popular Posts