Tripping in Time



In a lot of ways, I can trace the love I have for local music back before I even realised how much I loved it, I think a lot of us can.

Like many others I grew up in an uber conservative and, generally speaking, very narrow piece of the world. Especially when it comes to exposure to music, and even more so the heavier or more experimental the music got. Sure I loved Floyd, Fleetwood and Zeppelin along with all the classics (mostly because I could get my hands on my parents' CD collections.) I never really knew anything about South African Rock or even Pop before that though.

I mean Fokofpolisiekar and Nude Girls were the closest I got to anything local for the majority of my teenage years and fuck did I worship them. I still love shouting drunkenly at people who criticize them, mainly relating to Hunter Kennedy being the Kerkorrel of our generation, to general annoyance.

MK came and went. Rest in peace you beautiful bastard. Bobbejaan did all they could for years and probably saved a dying scene from the brink more than a few times, and I have the world's respect and love for them because of that. Oppikoppi has changed so much, (in many ways for the better in my opinion, but that's a whole other article to write,) that almost every die hard fan is considering or decided on abandoning it entirely. Arcade Empire, once the forefront of local rock is a shadow of it's past self, and don't get me started but it is a God damn shame. Not to mention venues in the 012 close faster than new ones can open, making promoters and labels understandably weary of coming anywhere near us.

So what the fuck do we do?

Well the honest truth is I don't have an answer.
But I have an idea. Which brings me to the topic at hand.

The first time I got to see any local act was thanks to Psych Night hosting events regularly at Arcade, it changed my life, and then it stopped.

But a little festival in tweefontein changed all of that.

Boogy Central took up Psych Night's mantle and managed something immense without anyone realising. That 70's Fest boasts one of the most diverse line-ups around and have done so 2 years in a row now, with special space reserved for Pretoria and Joburg bands from the looks of it. If last year is anything to go by you'd be insane to miss it. I'm not going to go into it because, seriously, I wouldn't do it justice.

Back to the point.

Venues close down, bands break up, labels disband, retract from a scene, even move and explode overseas. The music lovers in Pretoria know this better than anyone. Yet, the support has never wavered. Young and old get together wherever they can, start new projects, new bands, new venues, and headbang the weekends away in harmony all the same.

The next time you hear someone talk about Thrashers, Arcade, or whatever venue is popular or relevant at the time. Steer the conversation that way, remember and remind them that it never went anywhere, that it never will, that you can see the band you love with the people you love anywhere you want. Whether it be at That 70's Fest, or The Grind, or on a rooftop somewhere in the moot. I mean most of the great Pretoria bands cut their teeth in Schivas for fuck's sake. It's up to you and me and the dude headbanging away next to you to keep the 012 scene alive now, we owe it to everyone that tried and keep on trying to do just that, homegrown musos and others from all around the country alike.

Start a band, join a band, pick up a camera. Remind your friendly neighborhood bar owner how many people want to see bands live. Share a post on Facebook if that's all you think you can do to help.

The reason I fell in love with music was Pink Floyd's lyrics, Fleetwood Mac's unapologetically raw emotion, Led Zeppelin's screeching vocals, Black Sabbath's monstrous riffs, fuck, all of the above and so much more.

The reason I stayed in love with music was much simpler. The people I met through it. The friends I made, and the days and nights I could never forget because I was part of them, not just physically present, but truly infused and invested in them.

I for one am not going to sit idly by watching gigs get booked and canceled, venues open and close. While I know there are people just like me who'd do anything to see the 012 get back to where it belongs, at the forefront of SA music right beside our sister cities.

So, what are you gonna do about it?



Links: That 70's FestPsych Night, Photo By ChristelleDuvenagePhotography

Author: Mandre Eyer


Comments

Popular Posts