Cool Cape Cats #1



As I am writing this it is really fucking cold and raining. A similar day to this was experienced not too long ago when I visited Cape Town. I was really sad about the fact that Mosselbay rarely gets any action when it comes to live local music. I saved up some currencies and drove 4 gruelling hours in the cold rain to Stellenbosch on a Thursday.

I stayed at a friends house who always talked about being in this band PXLS. I followed them on media and never had the privilege of seeing them live. They released some fucking insane noise the other day. Go give it a listen in the links down below. They wrecked that tiny stage at Boho's Thursday night. Yes, Boho's aka. Bohemia in Stellenbosch. I picked up some slang in my time down there and I would like to think that I have become a somewhat distant relative to that Shangri-La of a music scene whenever I have the time and money to visit.

Back to PXLS. Fok, what an experience, they have this ongoing connection with the crowd filled with noiselike, behemoth riffs and in the same set would space you into these gutsy progressions. A good start would be to listen to "I Spy" it sums up the band in a tightly 5.27 treffer.

You start to stare at other people in the crowd and when you make eye contact you sort of doing that head nod in the band's direction mouthing "are you fucking seeing this". I admire the length of effort they go to when it comes to making something new and interesting. When it comes to a telephone microphone, a pedal synth or guitar techniques that make noises some may find illegally beautiful they never cease to push the boundaries of exploration. Something the scene gravely needs. Go give their 1/3 EP a listen the 2/3 is about to come out fairly soonish so stay tuned.

The night was not over ladies and germs. The Running Nuts ended off the night with some of their brand new gold material. I shot a few words in a post "The Altar Boys" to my early encounters with the Runaway Nuns. It's one of my first posts, so please be GoT Ep 69 Gendry Gentle with me. I spent probably that entire weekend bumping into them. I apologise if you bumped into me that weekend thinking "what the fuck is this guy on about".

To explain, I haven't seen live music/artists in a while and needed to cope with my social anxiety with a lot of booze and stimulants. Back to the business at hand. I decided to stand a bit back and get the full picture of the lads jamming. Seeing people singing along and I mean quite a few, mouthing the lyrics really gave me proud chills. To put in perspective the stage at Boho's is a bit tiny and fitting a quintet on stage is no easy business. If I had one wish it would be to see King Gizzard live on that stage before I die. That wish would probably burn the place down or the fulfilment of seeing Black Angels at Endless Daze in the near future.

As your attorney, I advise you to stay tuned to this Cool Cape Cats series in where we have loads more material on our witnessing of the lovely local scene.

To Be Continued...



Links: PXLS, Runaway Nuns, Thursday at Boho's Photo Credits to Pierre



Comments

Popular Posts