"I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I've felt it." - Igor Stravinsky





"I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I've felt it." - Igor Stravinsky

If you're reading this, there's a reasonable chance that you love music just as much as I do, either creating it yourself or appreciating what others have done. That you thrive on the chaos and creativity of the shows that blow roofs off of your favorite venues. That you can belt out your favorite songs verbatim as it comes on, even if no one else has even heard it before (I blame our local radio stations for this sad fact, but that's a rant for another article.) Most importantly, if you're reading this you have just as much love for the local music scene as I do, and you're probably right there next to me headbanging away at whatever local theater or shit hole boasting this week's best lineup. 

So, without further ado, here are a few bands that blew me the fuck away with their live performances or stage antics in the past year. In no particular order.


Ruff Majik

The kings and queen (love you Bennifer) of Riff Worship.


I think it's best to start at the beginning here. I first met this anarchic trio high out of my mind at 2018's That 70's fest, we ate thc laced chocolate cake, drank until the early hours and eventually became pretty good friends along the way. Booming bass riffs, primordial drum beats, screeching guitar riffs, and of course piercing and experimental vocals and lyrics the likes of which rarely come together on the biggest of stages (let alone from three Lydenburg expats.) Needless to say I was hooked from the start.
This is the band I've seen most in my lifetime and God do they deliver. From small gatherings in the famous New Moon Pub in the moot to the modern ambience of Railways CafĂ© (and even on the occasional rooftop in suburbia) these guys fit in everywhere. 

Just budget for a physio and neck brace once the show is over, you're gonna need it.




This little two piece needs no introduction. In fact I still can't believe there's only two of the fuckers.
With enticing melodies; the most complex pedal board I've ever seen used live, impeccable timing and chemistry, and arguably South Africa's best drummer behind the sticks, these dudes mean business.
One of many Durban grown treasures that seem to slip between the rest of our fingers all too often, Mouse has the potential to finally break that mould and unleash the 031 on our shores.
Their full length album, Elephant Island, is one of last year's best releases, and to boot it sounds even better played live.


So, that's the 012 and 031 done and dusted, but before I go on to the little coastal town in the WP we all know and love, a few honorable mentions are in order. These bands deserve just as much praise and love as the rest, and their inclusion (I hope) proves that. So, in no particular order. 

Check these guys out too.

1. Black math
2. Julia Robert
3. Black Lung
4. The Valley
5. Pxls
6. Apocalypse Later
7. Mad God
8. Runaway Nuns
9. Hellcats
10. Pollinator



Finally, we get to the biggest of the bunch.


Retro Dizzy. 

The thing I love most about these crazy motherfuckers has to be their ridiculous antics on stage. From guitarist Andre Vlok tackling the crowd while riffing at Thrashers Skatepark to vocalist and guitarist Richard using a beer can as a slider literally the next day at park acoustics, to the whole band laughing their heads off at our other esteemed writer taking a dirt nap courtesy of Jagermeister and Endless Daze 2018.
The most important part of a live performance is arguably engaging the crowd. Making the fans act just as crazy as you are on stage is a talent that very few artists master. Hence my love for these mad Capetonians.
Their music is just as much of a jol too, and whether they're playing their older psychedelic material or the maniacally fast paced surf rock that made them their name, seeing them so obviously doing what they love and everyone else loving it just as much makes for a performance you're not bound to easily forget.



There you are! I hope reading this either reminded you how great our local live music scene can be, or else inspired you to get off your ass and finally check some of these bands out!

The secret to making a small scene like ours thrive and grow is just that. If you wanna pick up a guitar and join us on stage do it! If you love live music but never go to shows fucking go! Teamwork makes the dream work bla bla bla... You get the point. We've got to stick together to make this work, artists and fans alike, and with talent like this what more do you need?


@andre.l.meyer 

Comments

Popular Posts